Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1, Angels in the Bus Station

“For it is written, ‘He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.’ ” (Luke 4:10-11)

Although I’ve flown several times alone,I was an unseasoned traveler until I was a very mature woman. When I was 59 years old, I had never flown in a commercial plane, and it became necessary for me to travel across the country alone. No matter how I planned my trip, I realized that I would have to change planes or buses in Atlanta, Georgia. Having experience riding buses, I decided to take a bus and change in Atlanta at 1:30 a.m. Surely the bus station would not be crowded that time of the night.

Wrong!

The station was as chaotic as a can of earthworms going fishing at a farm pond. Everybody was wiggling to get ahead in line. Little boys, who should have been at home in bed, were offering to carry luggage. Unsavory characters were moving too close. I finally found my line to catch the bus to Louisiana. I stood there with my suitcase, which must have weighed (with the tools I was carrying after selling my car) at least sixty pounds – I didn’t appreciate suitcase wheels and light packing until that night. I dared not set my suitcase down, even on the floor beside me. An official cut the line in front of me. “The rest of you will have to wait another hour. Your bus was too full.”

A loud young white man, smelling like sour beer, staggered toward me. Cursing, laughing,and moving too close, he said, “I’m catching the bus back to Louisiana.” He intimidated me.

I was praying, “Lord, I’m scared and tired. Please help me. In Jesus’ name.” Seeing the line lengthen behind me as other people were clamoring to catch the bus toward
Louisiana and Dallas, I dared not go sit in the waiting area.

Suddenly a tiny black woman stood in front of me and rebuked the evil in him. A tall
well-built young black man appeared on my left side, and a giant-sized young black man appeared at my right. As they flanked me, they were conversing about playing football with details that comforted me. The man on my right had played at my alma mater in Mississippi and at a community college near my hometown. The one on my left had played football at a Louisiana university not far from where I live. This coincidental information passing over me in their conversation made me relax. One of them told the boisterous,drunken aggressor, “Stand straight, be quiet, and hold this lady’s suitcase for her.”

“Yes sir,” was the answer.

I believe that God told the angel in charge of me to find those three courageous and
concerned people to keep me safe that night.

Have you ever gone through struggles that seemed physically or emotionally impossible
and then wondered how you did it? Wonder no more. Your success was not the result of
your unaided efforts. You are not alone. You had help from the One Who loves you. Your Father in heaven is watching over every move you make and sending His host of helpers one at a time to take care of whatever you need.

Visit Do You Know How God Loves You?

No comments:

Post a Comment