Friday, July 8, 2011

Guest Blogger: Donna Barton

Donna Barton, author and illustrator of a beautiful children's book about Yahweh, the name of God, will have a book signing July 16, 2011. Donna has contributed a guest blog, in which she tells how she was inspired to write this book:

Searching

Searching, always searching! It seems like that is the story of my life. And as I get older the searching consumes my day. I search for answers. What should I believe? Which religion is closest to what God desires for me? How do I meet the needs of my family? Now I search for my glasses,which are on top of my head, my wallet, which is in the refrigerator crisper (true story).

You get the idea. It was during one of my searches for deeper meaning in my life that I took a Bible study called the Names of God. It was there I learned the proper name of God – Yahweh. Because the name of God was taken so seriously, the Jewish people would not say the name aloud so we are not really sure how to pronounce it.

The Jewish tradition maintains that God's name is spoken as a breath; inhale "Yah".the first breath of a newborn as it emerges from the womb. Exhale "Weh". The last breath a person takes before his eyes are glazed over by the final enemy Christ will crush- death. I sat there, I consciously breathed His name in an attitude of prayer and my life was changed.

I went home and wrote a children's prayer book called Yahweh. As inspiration for the illustrations of children and animals in an attitude of prayer, I used Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that has breath praise the LORD." The children in the book are doing the things kids do with their breath. They are blowing bubbles, scattering dandelion puffs, blowing up balloons, flutes, and gasps of excitement when they see a ladybug or a hummingbird.

I am always intrigued when I read the book to children. Their little faces are rapt as they learn to praise God every moment with their breath. My heart was warmed one day as I saw a little one tug on mommy's skirt and say, "Mommy, I know God's name! With closed eyes, she breathed "Yah...Weh."

That is my purpose, for myself and for them. I want all of us to be aware of Him in every moment of our life and praise Him with every breath. The book, YAHWEH is a reality now. The book signing will be July 16, 2011 between 4 and 6 PM at 2715 James Louis Drive, Amarillo, TX 79110. Everyone who is interested is invited. Just come and eat cookies!

Click here for the Kindle version of Do You Know How God Loves You?

No comments:

Post a Comment